Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Woodturner Who Can't Live Without Music

Charles Nicholls, a woodworker from Arkansas, gives us his perspective on the role of music in his life.  Charles is not currently a musician, feeling that he has now found in woodworking what he was looking for by taking guitar while in high school, but he also feels as though he cannot live without music in his life.

Charles:  Musically, it's mostly 80s Rock and Country.  Some of the newer stuff is OK but I don't like Rap at all. Usually, I have music running in the background while I am doing my shop thing, unless something major is going on in the news.

Krueger:  Has your musical taste remained the same throughout your life?

Charles:  It's changed only slightly.  Actually, there are some 90s songs I like, and I used to love disco in the 70s, but yeah, for the most part it’s 80s.

Krueger:  Did you have music in the household, in any way, growing up?

Charles:  Oh yes, but then it was mostly Country music because my parents hated Rock; no one played the music it was always records or tapes.

Krueger:  Would you say that you inherited a love for Country because of your upbringing and discovered Rock on your own?

Charles:  I wouldn’t say I loved Country, I sort of just tolerated it because that was all that was available.  Then, yes, I went to Rock on my own because, well, it was prohibited [LOL].




When asked if Charles ever listens to Classical or Jazz, he answered that he has listened to it before, but does not care for it.

Krueger:  What about it is not appealing?
                                                                             
Charles:  It has very little, if any, singing, and really nothing to do with any of my moods or thoughts.  There is no voice in Classical, now Jazz there is a little.

Krueger:  Can you imagine a way that you would better relate with Classical and Jazz, or even Rap?

Charles:  No, not unless for some reason I happened to like the person doing it, first.  Now, there is -I guess you could say- violin music I like, check out Lindsey Stirling sometime.

Krueger:  If you can relate to the person, it helps you relate to the music?

Charles:  Yep, because the music comes from that person.

Krueger:  Perhaps there is a gap between the ways in which many Classical, Jazz, and Rap performers/musicians act as people, and who you are. At least on the surface.

Charles:  I guess you could put it that way. If I have nothing to do with their experience that they created the music from, then I can’t relate to the music itself.

Krueger:  Perhaps it's related, even, to perceived values in life?

Charles:  Yep.

Krueger:  Do you feel that music plays a vital role in your life, and even in your health, mental or otherwise?

Charles:  Oh yes I have to have music.  This computer is playing music literally 24/7 unless it is rebooting.  I have to have it, I'd go nuts without it.  Most of the time if the TV is on for news, the music is still playing in the background [LOL].  For me it just calms me down or picks me up, depending on what I need and what is playing.

Krueger:  If somebody you love does not appreciate the music you enjoy, do you think it's because they do not understand it?

Charles:  They either don't understand it or, more importantly, they don't understand me.




Krueger:  How would you classify yourself in terms of your relationship with music?

Charles:  Can't live without it.

Krueger:  Do you play any instruments?

Charles:  No, I wish I did.  I tried guitar but had a poor Instructor who wouldn't work with me.

Krueger:  You felt ignored in your lessons?

Charles:  You could say that, yeah; 5 minutes a day was spent with me MAYBE.  That was when I was trying to find a way to make art of some sort.

Krueger:  Do you feel it permanently made an impression on you?

Charles:  Yes, but I finally found what I was looking for in woodturning.

Krueger:  Do you think it would have made a difference for you, if you felt your teacher were more attentive?

Charles:  It may have but I don't know. I know it would have to my parents who spent $150 on the guitar and about that much for the class.  Sorry, I am starting to get a bit frustrated here.  I’m just annoyed at the moment, not so much at you as at old, bad memories.  Those were some really bad times for me, sorry.  I usually won’t go there because the feelings are so bad.

[Pause]

Krueger:  Are you OK?

Charles:  Yeah, I’m fine, just shaking off the bad stuff… Anyway, I need to get some more seam rippers and needle cases done for an order.

Krueger:  Thank you for your time, and enjoy your woodturning!

No comments:

Post a Comment